Monday, December 21, 2009

Hello and Goodbye MV Doulos

We went to Vivocity this morning for breakfast and happened to chance upon MV Doulos, a vessel which was ran by volunteers from all over the world. They were having 25% discounts on books. We thought that it would be an interesting experience for Oliver to go onboard the ship.
Little did we know that the Doulos Ministry will be stopped by the end of this year, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Doulos. It also wrote that the MV Doulos is the world's oldest active ocean-faring passenger ship. She is now owned by the German charity Gute Bücher für Alle (English: Good Books for All), and is used as a floating bookshop. The ship has previously been known as the SS Medina, the SS Roma, and the MV Franca C. The Doulos Ministry will be stopped surprisingly by the end of 2009. Here a screenshot of their website, and I can share almost the emotions with Tirza and Nick when we had to close StarDuS Clubhouse early this year. Somehow, I felt that I had to be there with SDS colleagues when we finally shut the doors and said goodbye, and to witness that final moment.
It was such a pity that a mission so great will be decommissioned. I wondered how these volunteers felt. When we were onboard MV Doulos, the crew were busily themselves with various tasks at hand and there was not a single clue signalling the end of a journey. I should have at least do my bit by getting some books which I didn't.



Oliver and I taking a shot with the Lifeboat which Oliver kept saying that he wanted to take the boat.

Goodbye MV Doulos. I believe you will be remembered dearly.