Monday, August 10, 2009

First trip to Pulau Ubin

Here's a gleaming Oliver proudly taking a picture with his new sling bag from Charles and Yvonne and getting ready for his first family trip to Pulau Ubin. As Oliver said, the bag was from Jia Jun. Both Jia Jun and Oliver used to be buddies in the same class, but now they are in different class. Hi Charles and Yvonne, if you are reading this.. Thanks again!

The weather on Sunday which is also the 44th Birthday of Singapore was just nice. It was a perfect date as the next day is a Public Holiday, meaning we can have more rest at home if needed. The two kids were fine, both of them were not sick and were in good mood (very important).

So here we come, Pulau Ubin, the place where my mum called home when she was a little girl and where my grandma lived for a major part of her life. The last visit to Pulau Ubin was with my grandma. Now that she had move on, the visit to Pulau Ubin with Oliver and Heidi was just like bringing my kids to see her. Oh no, its just me getting sentimental again...

I was glad to see so many old bumboats still operating. I guess the fee charged- $2.50 per passenger (free for children under 1 year old) was just not viable for any profitable business opportunities, which is a good thing. Most of these old folks probably depended on their humble looking boat as their sole livelihood.

In this picture, Oliver looking apprehensible with the boat ride, and Heidi was clinging to me like her usual self.

For memory, I took a picture of the boat number. Maybe I should try my luck on 4D with this number. This boatman takes pride in his boat. He even pasted a poster on Frustrations which was literally transferred from Mandarin.


The boat ride took less than 15 minutes and here we were at the Pulau Ubin Jetty. We walked quite slowly because Oliver was overwhelmed with standing on the jetty overlooking the water. From this picture, it was not visible that there were in fact many people coming into Pulau Ubin.

The last time when Boon Heng and I came PU, our grandma had a good long chat with one of her friends there. I visited her grocery store and there she was, barefooted and sitting there looking after her store. Her eyesight was almost blind when I found her trying to figure out the direction of our voice when we spoke to her. We identified ourselves as my grandma's grand daughter and grand son-in-law. She asked about my grandma. Boon Heng shaked his head to signal me not to tell the truth, so we told her that grandma was not feeling too well and resting at home. Somehow, looking at her made me missed my grandma even more. It is crazy of me to say this, but I really hope I would see her around at my next trip to PU.


We frequent our usual food place, Pulau Ubin First Stop Restaurant. It was packed and almost every eateries were packed with people.
Oliver was a picky eater. He did not have eat much here. Heidi was enjoying every single bit of food (from the restaurant) I put into her mouth. Surprisely, she seemed to dislike the Heinz Apple Muesli which I just bought. Tough job for Boon Heng and a breeze for me to be in charge of Heidi.

See the Thomas and friends sticker on Oliver's head. Thats not the doing of Heidi or Boon Heng or even me. It was Oliver himself who put on the sticker on his head. Who knows who is going on in his little head? Such a cute little boy and I couldn't help myself taking this picture. Perhap when our little boy becomes older, he will laugh at himself when he sees this picture.

After having our lunch, we headed inward into the island. At first, it was just an attempt to take the boat and have our lunch at Pulau Ubin, then head back the main island. However, time permited and Oliver wanted to "walk, walk", we asked ourselves why not. Hence, we walked the road heading towards the Village Chef's house. Unfortunately, the day became hotter and before reaching the Village Chef's house, we decided to head back . My grandma was quite "well known" in PU, but for the wrong reason. It was too sad to say over the blog and with all respect for my grandma, I should not have it said here.
In the picture, you see an exhausted Heidi soon falling asleep on Boon Heng's shoulder. Our little girl did not have her morning nap. I think she probably knew that she was heading to PU and wouldn't want to miss a thing.
Pulau Ubin or Wo min Tau.. stay this way and don't ever change.