Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Follow Me Hokkaido - Day 8

TOKACHIGAWA TO SAPPORO
Departing Tokachigawa, our first stop was Sahoro Bear Mountain which was around an hour drive away. The residential bear - Brown Bear is the largest terrestrial mammal living in Hokkaido. Over the years, bear population has decimated drastically leading to the opening of Sahoro Bear Mountain. At the Sahoro, a vast land area was devoted to the bears making it possible for researcher to study bear to be carried out in their natural habitat. In the process, these researchers could recommend measures to lessen the human-bear conflicts.
Our close encounter with the bears.



Next, we set off to Furano Jam Garden and Anpan Man.

We took this shot at Anpan Man, which Oliver was stucked with the digger for almost an hour - love at the first sight. Boon Heng was very tempted to buy the digger back, but it was way too costly. So Oliver, this photograph is specially taken for your keepsake.

While the kids hang around at Anpan Man Shop, I made my way to the Furano Jam Garden. It had the most exciting range fo jam from raspberry, carrot to sweetbriar and hascup berry. All handmade and additive-free! I tried almost all samples and yummy, why we can't have such concept shop in Singapore. Wholesome jams.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am becoming more auntie. Oliver, did what a kid do, hang out at the toy shop, and I did what an aunte do, hang out at the Jam shop? The shop mascot who resembled a Japanese elderly lady seemed to saying "all mothers and aunties, come into my shop. You shall be trapped here."

It was almost 2pm, and we seriously needed to fill our stomach. Lunch stop would be at Rokugo no Mori.

Set in amongst the beautiful Rokuogo forest are two buildings which were used during the filming of the long running drama - From the Northern Country. The name of the drama sounded familiar, but I took no notice of it. We had lunch and bought a piece of scenery poster at the little restaurant there.

It was popular for its soup curry cooked with the ingredients wholly from Furano. After lunch, the kids wandered about the forest, and I could not believe what I had found, something which I had been trying to find for many years. When I was young and at school going age, I fell in love with Hokkaido, its beautiful snow mountain, the lonely and brave fox which out of curiousity catching a glimpse of human on the snow field, and a family of father and two children living in a cosy hut up on the mountain. These were the scenes of the Northern Country, which actually had their filming done at this very spot where I was , Rokugo Forest. This was such an amazing experience. I had been trying to search for its soundtrack which lingered in my mind for years. I had known the drama by the chinese title, and did not know the English title of the drama being the Northern Country. This got me really excited, as I asked Boon Heng to check with the restaurant whether they sold the sound track. Yes, they do! I could not believe it. Gosh... almost like a dream coming true.